This course is designed for event sustainability practitioners who wish to learn about auditing an ISO 20121 Event Sustainability Management System.
Upon completion of this course you will have gained knowledge in the following:
- Principles of auditing.
- Planning and conducting an audit.
- Audit processes and techniques.
- ISO 20121 requirements.
- Identification and evaluation of non-conformities.
- Producing an audit report, to include recommendations for corrective action and improvement.
You will be able to:
- Conduct an internal audit for your own organisation.
- Conduct a second party audit in association with an industry organisation offering this service.
- Potentially join an accredited third party certifying body as a Technical Specialist, in event sustainability with audit process understanding.
Assumed Competency in Event Sustainability
It is assumed that students of this course already hold thorough knowledge of event sustainability principles, best practice and have practical experience in implementation.
Event Sustainability Competency:
- Understanding of the business practices of the event industry/event sector of the organisation being audited.
- Understanding of site specific or geographic specific issues pertaining to sustainability, and legal or other requirements.
- Competencies and knowledge of sustainable development principles, and broad sustainability.
- Competencies and experience in applying sustainable development principles and sustainability in the event planning, procurement, delivery and legacy aspects of the event life cycle.
- Knowledge of likely customers, suppliers, industry and other interested parties of the auditee.
ISO 20121 Competency:
- Knowledge of implementing an event sustainability management system.
- Understanding of the requirements of ISO 20121.
Competency requirements for auditing ISO 20121
The competencies for the audit team/auditor/auditing organisation have been documented in the technical specification ISO/IEC 17021-4:2013 Conformity assessment – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems – Part 4: Competence requirements for auditing and certification of event sustainability management.
This is a great help to the ensuring effective and accurate audits and that the audit experience will be a valuable and useful exercise to the events and organisations being audited.
Competency is required in the following areas, and ISO/IEC 17021-4 goes into more detail. If you likely to be part of a Second-Party or Third-Party auditing team, ensure the audit team meets the competency specification in 17021-4.
- ISO 20121 Event and event sustainability terminology
- Sustainability context
- Sustainable development principles
- Event sustainability design, planning and delivery
- Techniques for identification of sustainable development issues and evaluation of their significance
- Legal and other requirements
- Venue characteristics
- Operational control
- Event sustainability metrics, measurement and monitoring techniques
- Event sustainability performance evaluation
Review Your Competency
Review your competency by considering if you meet the suggested sustainability knowledge for all event professionals.
It is encouraged that those with existing event sustainability expertise, auditing an ISO 20121 implementation, have tested their knowledge and been peer reviewed – through the Sustainable Event Alliance Accredited Professional program.